Racha has an exceptional place in the history of Georgian vini- and viticulture. Over the centuries, the Rachans worked to perfect their vine varieties as well as the methods of vine cultivation and winemaking. It is believed that the ancestor of Khvanchkara wine, Kolkhuri Tkbili, and other aromatic wines were well-known in Homer’s times.
In 2001, a new winery opened on the grounds of the Ambrolauri wine factory, but until 2015, the volume of production was small.
Mamuka Khazaradze and Badri Japaridze came up with an idea to develop production, providing the factory with modern high-quality equipment and laying out and renewing the vineyards, so enabling the company to make premium wines.
The renaissance of Rachan winemaking is connected with the names of Rachan nobels Konstantine and Kaikhosro Kipiani. In the 1870s, the two gathered together all ancient local traditions of winemaking and vine cultivation and started to make the legendary Kipiani Wine from Aleksandrouli grapes.
Their wine soon gained a reputation not only in western Georgia, but throughout the Russian Empire. Experts compared Kipiani Wine with Burgundy wines for its velvet and tender taste.
Dimitri and Luarsab Kipiani further perfected and enriched the technology. Thanks to their efforts, the wine entered the international market in 1897 and won the Grand Prix at the international wine exhibition in Ostend, Belgium, in 1907.
Kipiani Wine was renamed Khvanchkara by the newly established Soviet power with the purpose of hiding the achievements and success of the aristocratic family.
To increase production at the summer residence of the Imeretian kings, a new wine factory was built in Ambrolauri, Racha, in 1929-1947. The new facility produced 300,000 bottles of Rachan and Lekhkhuman wines each year.